Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

FFXIV: Rum and Strangers [Raimy]

While they were away at the beach the day before -a notice on their bulletin board told me that was where they went- I went through everything in the club House to make sure they weren't really with the thugs that tried to mug me the night before. I had felt at ease when they were home, but the most distance between me and them the less I trusted them. I knew The Navigator wanted me there, I just wasn't sure why so I went through everything looking for evidence. I found their book on the Star marks and what little notes they had. They didn't have much. I knew it was too elaborate a ruse to fool a nobody like me so it couldn’t be a trick. I didn't let them know I knew that for awhile still. I also had torn a little of my stitching and gotten the bandages wet when taking a bath. I knew I wasn’t supposed to do either of those things, but with the wound where it was it was hard for me to get clean and not get them wet. I didn't tell anyone. I was still under the impression Doc might have been a crazy mad scientist. I called him Doctor Crazy back then.

I slept really late that next day. Healing tends to make you sleep, especially when you've hurt yourself more. Voices never really wake, as I'm used to a ship and good luck keeping sailors silent. Though speaking of silence the lack of water lapping or the creaking of wood is a little unsettling. It's a little too silent in a house on land when there aren't mates moving around and talking. I awoke to the sound of another pirate, though my mind was still reeling from the dream I'd had and focus through that and the pain wasn't that easy. His sailor accent so thick even I almost had trouble understanding him. He was saying something about rashes and books. Kondo said everyone has one and then Garry said they didn't know what they meant. I realized they were talking about the marks. Part of me still wanted to believe that Doc had drawn it on me and maybe on all of them too.

But I knew that wasn't the case, that was just me trying to hide for the overwhelming sensations and changes going on in my life. I was fish out of water and I flopped into the Club House instead of back to sea where I belong. But I wanted so bad to belong to them. I was sure The Navigator guided me to the Club House to save my life that night I was stabbed and I loved all the other Stars instantly. Something about how the mark affected me back then. I knew when I was in their presence and felt as close to each of them as I did to Lee, Jhak, and Carolyne.

The pirate, whom I later knew as Yatta was told by Kondo that the mark or the 'curse' as some of them discussed was possible wasn't fatal. I listened to them lament or try to take it with a grain of salt. None of them sounded happy to be marked. All, but Boss who seemed to go on about destiny or fate or something like that. Kondo said something about being stuck together, but she didn't sound thrilled about it. I'm not sure I've ever heard her be thrilled about anything.

I decided to let them all know I was awake and could hear them. I also get pretty lonely pretty quickly if I'm by myself. I wasn't moving so well so I didn't make it far before I had to lean on a wall and just watch the crazy Stars. I was starting to think they might not be as crazy as I first though, but they've never struck me as completely sane. Maybe you have to be a certain level of crazy before Hydaelyn gives you the Star mark?

Yatta was getting instructions on where the linkpearl went. He tried his mouth first and then his nose before Maia caught on and told him where it went. Why the others left it to the blind girl to figure these things out and correct others I'm not sure. They knew she couldn't see him doing it wrong?

Kondo and Maia both spoke to me, something about formalities of making sure I was not dying. Yattaru distracted everyone by yelling into his linkpearl. I acted annoyed and made some off hand comment about how happy I was mine was in my pocket. It was half true. Though his actions didn't stop me from thinking he might be crazy too. Yatta somehow then mistook me for a customer and asked if I was such. I told him I was and demanded a refund. The others told him I wasn't a customer so he seemed a little sad he couldn't offer me tea and regale me with stories of the sea. My opinion of him actually went up a little and then even more so when I asked instead for rum and he had plenty to offer. I slowly made my way into the room and did my best to keep my face straight so they wouldn't see how much pain I was actually in. I had Yatta bring the rum to the table. I'm not sure it was me, but Kondo quickly left as soon as I sat down. It was awhile later that I actually learned her name or started noticing her. Not until that first rehearsal. Yatta commented on how quickly she left and I asked if she could be afraid of me, but Yatta said not to worry about it.

I noticed the sofa was a different color and I had to ask, “wasn't this sofa red?” To make sure I wasn't going crazy too, that maybe it wasn't an affect of the mark. Boss said she was trying to make the place look better. I liked the sofa red and started to tell her so, but figured it was too soon to give opinions on anything. They healed me up, gave me food and shelter. It shouldn't have matter to me what color the sofa was.

Boss changed the subject and instead told me that Doc had left me some things. I asked if it was a pile of gil to pay my troubles away. We were in Ul'dah after all and money talks louder than anything else. She brought me back a pile of clothes and quite a bit of gil. Ten thousand. That was well over double of what I had to my name. I think that was also about what my bounty was. I wonder if she knew and that's why. . ? Nah, Sweet Boss Maia would never know I was a pirate, even if she could see a wanted poster. She'd never believe it.

I refused to take the items she offered at first and pointed out they were not mine. Nothing is ever free, especially in Ul'dah. Rizumu and Doc entered the downstairs common room at that time. I was still calling Riz, Harem Dancer, and Doc I was calling Doctor Crazy. Doc said he hoped the items fit well and were found useful. My ship has sunk with everything I owned upon her and so the work uniform Boss had given me the day before was my only change of clothing. I did indeed need more clothing, but was hesitant to know what the catch might be. It was hard fighting the Star tug with logic. I wanted to trust them, but knew I shouldn't. I voiced my concern they were all more than a little nuts and that the desert sun had gotten to them. I took the items anyway. It was a full set of clothes, a satchel of potions, and a coin purse containing the above mentioned amount. All way more than I could afford on my meager courier earning. I felt bad for taking the stuff even though it was offered. I had nothing to repay with. Thus when I first fell behind in my debt to the Stars. A debt I would only grow over the next several months. They gave so much to me, and I had nothing to give back.

The conversation took a darker turn as I decided marks might actually be appearing on us randomly and asked if anyone had tried removing it. Boss got frantic and said we shouldn’t try that Miss Ryllyn already did, and that it didn't work. This information sent Riz nearly over the edge. He started guarding his mark afraid someone would cut it off. So I asked about burning it off instead with magical fire. Fire tends to get rid of other infections I'd heard so why not the infection of the mark? Doc stood up and removed his gloves to show his mark and tried to slice it from his hand. After healing himself the mark reformed. So I asked if he tried to cut off his hand. Boss said something about a priest having said the mark went down to your aether or something.

Yattaru came back down after his smoke and told us of the time he'd caught a slaver and had indeed sliced off arms and legs. My crew also loved to hunt slavers and flesh peddlers. Boss decided to run and did that cute speak too fast and flustered thing she does when she's just making excuses to leave. I think the talk of cutting off limbs bothered her. On her way up she passed Kondo on her way down, looking as dour as ever. I think she may have asked me if I had mellowed out, which was an odd question. Maybe she doesn't know what mellow is? I was keeping my expressions mostly blank at the time and I could barely move. Sitting there quietly is what most people consider mellow. Especially when the room contains such company as Yattaru and Rizumu which are often more hyper. Doc was pretty mellow most the time. I ignored her question. Back then I didn't care what they thought of it so it didn't bother me if she had it wrong. She didn't stay long and I'm not even sure when she left.

Yattaru asked Doc to stop looking down on him for his past. Doc said he wouldn't. I asked what was wrong with Yatta's past, but Doc didn't stick around for the answer and instead bid us all good night and left. Yatta said that Doc has also given him a bunch of stuff. I suddenly was more cautious of the gifts I'd received myself. What kind of doctor hates pirates, but gives us loot? Yatta said in my case I shouldn't worry that they patched me up and that alone showed their intentions. I briefly wondered if I should have told the Doc I had pulled a stitch or two. I never did get good at telling him when that sort of stuff happened and now I have a nice huge scar to show for it.



Yatta asked me how I got injured and I was pleasantly surprised when he and Rizumu took the truth for the right answer. I was mugged. I even told them a Lalafell female had done it and they both agreed she sounded like someone they wanted to date. Such a statement of course led to more drinking and sharing of rum. I could tell then that Riz had the heart of a pirate hidden under that timid harem dancing exterior. I asked them for whatever their cheapest drink was so I could pour it over my wound. They missed that part and got me some rum but then both of them nearly lost it when the found out I was going to pour it over my wound instead of drinking it. Yatta threatened to cut my throat. I pointed out Gwen had already beat him to it. Riz said Gwen was just into that sort of thing and I've met pirate women that were, not to mention how I grew up surrounded by people who liked it violent. I believed him for a time.

It was about the time I was wondering if I could make it to privacy to address my wound that I remembered the potions I was given. I decided I'd probably drink the rum, but held onto it just to watch my little friends rile up some more. They asked my name again and I liked them both enough by now to tell them, but it was becoming a game. And names have never been that important to me. It's just something someone uses to identify you by when talking about you to others. As long as everyone knows who The Stranger is, it's all good.


Yatta and Riz had drunk themselves into sleepy mode. Yatta tried to wake Riz up enough to take a bottle of rum he was offering. Riz took both and cuddled them. Yatta made him give one back and brought it over to me. I thanked him and he told me not to say thanks unless I meant it. I pointed out the truth. I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it. It wouldn’t be the last time a Star has made the mistake of thinking I speak jut to hear myself. I don't speak very often so why they’d think that I'm not sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment