Pages

Friday, August 8, 2008

Cabal Online: The Revolution of Action

Camera
The first thing I noticed about Cabal Online was the camera. Hate the default camera with a passion and found it very hard to see where I was going and what I was doing. Even after I learned how to put the camera in free mode, I still find I constantly have to adjust it, thus the camera gets a low score. 1 out of 5.

Controls
This is a point and click game, trying to move around by the standard W and S keys will cause frustration. There might be some trick to it that you learn after playing for over 100 hours, but I doubt it. And sometimes when I try to click on a creature to target it, I’d run past the creature instead. That happened enough times to bring the controls score down to a 2 out of 5.

Newb Friendly
The game is actually pretty newb friendly. If new players take the quests right away the game does walk them through the locations of shops and some controls. The creatures for newbs to fight are right outside of the towns and easy to access. There is even a novice channel for newbs to train on without fear of being PKd. I’ll give the newb friendliness of this game a 4 out of 5.

Visually Pleasing
This may sound like a strange category, but I have art friends and agree with them that a game has to look good to be fun. From a gamer’s point of view, the textures are nice and the world is imaginative. As far as free games go this one is really easy on the eyes. I could see seams of environment structures and did find one mesh where the norms were pointed the wrong way. That brought the score down to a 3 out of 5.

Chat Spam (lack thereof)
I hate spammers. There is a real issue of bots from sites that sell gold sitting in towns and spamming chat so fast you can not see anything else that is said. You can turn off certain chats, like local to avoid that, but then miss what others say to you out on the field. You can also put these spammers on block, but must do it several times a day as the bots replace themselves. The spammers try to come up with names that are not easy to type in, like combinations of little Ls and capital Is which look the same in the game font. A player can click on the name of a spammer to put them on block, but this requires hunting them down and the solution isn’t immediately evident to newbs. I can block the spam, but something needs to be done about it. Not too much trouble of newbs spamming for help and money though, as they can not shout until they are level fourty. 3 out of 5.

Gear Varity
Depending on what class you pick you’re very limited to what weapons and armor you use. Sometimes if you’re lucky you can pick from two styles of swords, and really high level players might have more armor choices, but overall the gear Varity is very low. 1 out of 5

Custom Chars
There are several hair styles and colors to pick from, but not many and only a hand full of faces. You can not change the color of your skin, your height, and only have one body type to pick from. You’ll end up with many twins in the game. 1 out of 5

Custom Build
The class you pick determines your build for you based on the requirements for armor and weapons for your build. 1 out of 5

Community
A stranger gave one of my newb items, which I found to be very nice and I didn’t find it difficult to make friends. Every community has it’s trouble makers and trolls and Cabal is no different, but overall the community is alright. My rating on this is a little off, because I didn’t actually try the forums. 3 out of 5

Player Ran
Nothing is player ran in this game, except guilds. 0 out of 5

Player Houses
If they exist, after two weeks of playing I still have not heard of them. This score might change in the future if they get player houses. 0 out of 5

Pets, Mounts, and Familiars
High level players with the right amount of money can attain pets of various types. Some of them I found to be really cute. Mounts are not animals in this game, but there are cool things like bikes and boards to ride. 4 out of 5

Total: 2 out of 5
Hours played before review: 102

No comments:

Post a Comment